The latest The Sims 4 update is now live. Find out everything new or changed in the patch notes, including new build mode cheats, create-a-sim stories, bug fixes and more.
On Tuesday, EA released its latest The Sims 4 PC update, which brings with it the recently several interesting new and refreshed features. From new Sim Stories to mix things up in your Sim world to an interesting new Build Mode cheats, the developers are working hard to keep The Sims 4 and its on-going content updates “fresh and relevant” for its users. Below we’ve put together a complete rundown of everything new and changed in TheSims 4 1.53 patch notes. The update is live for both PC and Mac users. In addition, Xbox One and PS4 players will be receiving the 1.16 update as well, which brings bug fixes and new features like the freelance career. You can find both sets of patch notes below.
Celebrity Fitness: ‘The Sim 4’ July 2019 PC Update Patch Notes (1.53)
Welcome Simmers! We’ve got an unconventional update for you this month, with a bold new look for The Sims, and a brand new mode within Create a Sim. You can go on reading the details of what we’ve changed, but trust me — you’ll notice the differences the moment you start your game. After you’re done exploring the new main menu, be sure to give a Create a Sim Story a try… you may just find it to be a fun way to shake up your normal playstyle!
‘Create a Sim’ Stories – A Whole New Way to Design a Sim
Is your Simming stuck in a creative rut? Try crafting a story within Create a Sim! By starting a new household, or adding a Sim to an existing household, you can take a fun quiz to determine your Sims personality and starting conditions. By creating a story your Sims will end up starting out with a career, various skills, and different levels of starting household funds! Of course, this is just an additional option that’s now available — you’ll still be able to also create Sims the same way you always have.
New Look – Cover Art, Loading Skins, Icons and More Get Revamped
The Sims 4 has a new look! Now that we’re entering the fifth year of The Sims 4, and the twentieth year of The Sims, we wanted to continue to invest in The Sims 4 so that it remains fresh and relevant for years to come. You’ll quickly spot changes like a brand new cast of Sims, new intro videos, new loading screens, new cover art, and new pack icons. The main menu has received the most significant additions; not only does it show off our new style, but you’ll discover the ability to play trailers from our most recent packs, and access quick links to The Sims on your favorite social platforms.
New Customization Options – It’s Makeover Time
Our new cast of Sims has some fresh new clothing and accessories to wear, and you’ll find all of their new content within Create a Sim. Check out their group shot by clicking through the art on the main menu! The base game has received new tops, bottoms, accessories, hairstyles, and a hat. Players who own certain packs will receive new swatches on some of the clothing and accessories they already own from those packs.
New Cheat – Customize Your Lot With This New Build Mode Cheat
We’ve added a new cheat to the game! Open the cheat console and type in “bb.showliveeditobjects” to enable the cheat. To disable it, type “bb.showliveeditobjects false”.
Enabling the cheat will unlock a new set of objects in Build Mode to decorate your lots with… rocks, trees, bushes, signs, and all sorts of environment objects. I lost count, but I think it’s somewhere around twelve-hundred new decorative objects. These objects are environment objects, which our artists use when creating worlds. As such they are not optimized for on lot use, so please be aware when using this cheat. The most obvious issue you may notice is that Sims will walk through these objects.
Fixes & Updates
- Resolved error code 134:ef7a88f2:b4565d86, which was preventing players from loading certain save files.
- I’d explain further, but really the error code is self explanatory. Ok, sorry – that was snarky. This recently introduced error occurred when attempting to load a game that was saved while one of the household Sims wasn’t currently instantiated on the active lot, and had away actions that they could perform.
- Fixed an issue where objects were getting stuck on toddler’s hands.
- The Sulani animation on the World Select screen will now display properly for players who do not own Island Living.
- Within the tutorial, your friendly roommate Alex will now successfully give your Sim a job once again.
- The main menu will now continue to display the pack art that you’ve selected until you decide to change to a different one.
- Fixed an issue where Vampires were failing to route when directed to perform the Dark Meditation and Influence Emotions powers.
Celebrity Fitness: ‘Sims 4’ July 2019 Console Patch Notes: Freelance Career, Bug Fixes and More
It seems like only yesterday when we added Mouse & Keyboard support to The Sims 4 but that hasn’t stopped us from making improvements based on your feedback while preparing for Island Living. The team has also been hard at work on new features and have addressed some long-standing issues so let’s dig in, starting with the new stuff.
New Console Features
- Mouse & Keyboard can now be used to bypass the “Press START” screen rather than requiring a controller to get to the Main Menu. That means you can start and finish your Simming session using the control scheme you prefer. Now, where’s the any key?
- I’m on a boat… Oh I’m not?!?! Seems that going into First Person view didn’t agree with all Simmers and left some feeling a little ill. Worry not, head to Options > Game Camera and Disable First Person Head Bob for that more on rails feel while you are inside your Sims’ heads.
- When entering cheats, Sims would continue their day as if they didn’t have a care in the world. Using a controller, adding cheats could take most of a Sim day if you were unlucky. Now, when entering cheats, the game will pause letting you add all the cheats you want without missing a second of Sim life.
Randomize Traits Button
We all get creative block sometimes, other times we just look for a challenge. Whatever your approach you can now hit the Randomize Traits button in CAS to get a set of traits you might not usually pick for your Sim. Will your Sim be a Jealous, Lazy Goofball or a Genius, Slob who Hates Children? Let the dice decide.
Everyone (even you) gets a FREE LOUNGE CHAIR! That’s right, we’ve added a delightfully Portable Lounge Chair, so you can now lounge by the pool they way you’ve always wanted and you don’t even need to wake at the crack of dawn to put your towel down.
Created in partnership with the It Gets Better Project you can show your pride with some fantastically colorful new clothing. From the rainbow leggings to the body suit and new t-shirts your Sim can show their Pride. In addition, we’ve also included a selection of decorative Pride flags for hanging on your Sims’ walls. Finally, we’ve updated our bathroom door sets in-game so that every bathroom door also includes a gender-neutral version for builders, and includes a full suite of color swatches for mixing and matching to your heart’s content. Happy Pride Month everyone, even if we did get here a little late!
Or as we like to call them, High Heels for your House. Or House Heels. These things don’t need to be limited to just the tropics. Stilts are a great partner in crime to terrain manipulated and flat lots, in any biosphere. You can find them in Build Mode alongside all the other regular Foundation types. Now go get your stilt on.
Freelancer is a brand-new type of career. Sims can choose to be a Freelance Artist, Programmer, or Writer, and will work through an agency that will connect them with a variety of gigs. Unlike other careers, there’s no defined work schedule to worry yourself over. Need some extra Simoleons? Smash through a few gigs in a single day and get paid! Need some time off? No problem – plenty of gigs will be waiting for you when you’re ready to get back to work. Your office is wherever you want it to be. Perhaps a quiet corner in the local library, or maybe you’d prefer a home office decked out in the new set of office furniture? You’re your own boss, so the choice is yours! Completion of gigs across the different agencies will lead to a variety of rewards, and ever-increasing pay.
This free set of home office furniture and decor is ideal for your burgeoning Freelancer Sims!
- Bookcase: Edgier LadderCase
- Desk: Anglette Desk
- Desk Chair: The Professional
- End Table: A Cute Anglette
- Decor: Not So Simple Pen Holder
- Decor: Hand Reference Model
- Decor: Robo, The Friendly Circuitry Kit
- Decor: The Note Book
- Laptop: FreeRoam Portable Computing Device
- Wall Decor: Better As A Pair Of Paintings
- Wall Decor: Supreme Freelancer Award
Doors of many Colors
Knock knock! Who’s there? Color! Color who? 350 new color swatches spread across all of the doors. Yeah, maybe the future as a stand up comedian isn’t in my future after all.
New Lot Traits
- Clothing Optional: This new venue-only lot trait will inspire your Sims to — you guessed it — get nude.
- Off-The-Grid: Now you can live out your nomadic fantasy on any lot. Applying this lot trait will remove your Sim’s use of power and running water, but on the upside it keeps your bills down. Keep a lookout for existing objects with the “Works Off-The-Grid” note in the Buy Catalog.
Freelancers tend to want comfy, but professional outfits. We’ve got them covered with the following new pieces of clothing.
- A cable knit cardigan outfit
- A sweater and skirt outfit
- A layered sweater
- A pair of flats
- A collared sweater
- A button-up shirt
- A crewneck sweater
- A pair of drawstring pants
Immaculate White Shelf
According to SimGuruGraham, Simmers really REALLY wanted a plain white version of “The Immaculate” shelf available in Buy Mode. Who are we to argue with what SimGuruGraham tells us?
More Toddler Diaper Colors
We added some L’il Swimmies Splashy Diapers! You don’t necessarily have to use them for splashing in the water, but that’s where our brains were at when we made them. We made these not only in anticipation for Island Living, but we also thought you’d appreciate more swimming options for your toddlers to use in the Seasons Kiddie Pool.
A new Back Float interaction is available for Sims swimming in the pool. Select the water. Try it out. Take a load off.
Brace yourself, we’re about to cast you into a deep dive…
- We added several new interactions to allow players to fish in different ways and interact with other Sims around fishing activities.
- Sims can perform a few new Fishing-based socials to gain useful info (via UI TNS/Notebook) and push NPCs to Fish.
- Fishing is now joinable.
- Improved fishing interaction tuning and autonomy to make the interaction more efficient and fun.
- Upper skill levels now provide more meaningful rewards, with new Interactions added to Fishing skill levels
- New high skill cast interaction “Angle for Big Catch” increases chance of getting rarer fish.
- New high-skill VFX visuals on Rare fishing spots.
- Ability to now “Mentor Sims in Fishing.”
- Fishing UI has improved information, including Notebook info with Bait information.
- Tuning for fish that can be caught is unique per world & more fishing spots added to some of our previously shipped worlds.
- New bait preference system applied to most existing fish that modify catch chances.
Ceiling Fan Updates
Ceiling Fans will now cool a room if you have Seasons and the fan is on. Oh yeah, speaking of which, we also added the ability to turn them On and Off. And while we were at it, we figured we’d make them dry off damp Sims too.
Ceiling Objects Build Sort
We also added a new Ceiling Objects Build sort category to make things like Fans easier to find.
There is now a chance for interesting things to happen to your Sims while swimming, like getting a cramp or losing their suit (eek!). Swimming also now gives your Sims a boost in Fitness skill gain.
Part-Time Jobs Update
And last but not least (you still with me?) all existing Part-Time Jobs are no longer just for Teens. That’s right, now elders could work as Fast Food Employees. Young Adults could be Babysitters if they want. Why not? The Part-Time world is your oyster. Oh oh oh — and one last thing on that note: You can now have two Part-Time Jobs at once and pick between shifts. Wowee.
- The green pulsing of the snap cursor would previously appear every 20-30 seconds for some players even if you were using a Mouse & Keyboard. That pulse is under control now, unless you are using snap cursor in which case you should expect to see it.
- Rooms can now be resized with the Mouse & Keyboard control scheme.
- Talking of Mouse & Keyboard, if you use them you can live drag objects now.
- Simmers using a Mouse & Keyboard can now make use of edge scrolling. We had the option before but it didn’t work as you might have thought.
- The Virtual Cursor may be virtual but it doesn’t mean it was meant to disappear after you came out of build mode.
- Sims will travel to the correct venue when invited out to an event by a NPC Sim.
- Fixed an issue where the UI would occasionally indicate that a Sim was at work, when they were actually at home, which would block access to the Sim’s inventory.
- Note: If a save file created prior to this update contains a Sim that’s already in this bad state, simply traveling to another lot with that Sim will permanently fix this issue.
- Sims will no longer receive random phone calls from other Sims between the hours of 8pm and 10am, allowing them to enjoy a full – and speedy – night’s sleep.
- Fixed an issue where multiple music tracks could end up looping and playing simultaneously.
- Expecting parents will once again be able to “Take Family Leave” via their phone to take time off from work.
- Fixed an issue where a Sim who had cheated with another Sim romantically, were then unable to successfully propose to that Sim and get married.
- Fixed an issue where Sims in the eSport Gamer branch of the Tech Guru career were not earning money when programming video games.
- The Pick Up Serving Together interaction will no longer cause one of the Sims involved to fail to route to the food.
- Fixed an issue where interactions on the Digitalistic Sketchpad object would disappear if a Sim’s actions were canceled while they were picking up the Digitalistic Sketchpad.
- Updated the Digitalistic Sketchpad object so that creating paintings on it will satisfy Aspiration goals and work tasks that involve painting.
- Fixed an issue with the Lin-Z Smart Speaker, where the interaction to hire a Gardener would remain unselectable, even when the home had a garden that needed tending.
- Sims will now look at the Lin-Z Smart Speaker when speaking to it.
- The “Pre-Owned Painter’s Easel”, that’s unlocked via the Painter career, will now provide an Inspirational emotional aura, instead of a Focused emotional aura.
- Fixed an issue where staircases were not rendering properly while held by a mouse cursor.
- Adjusted icons of Lunar New Year recipes to better display what food you’re looking at within an inventory.
- The children’s Yin & Yang Necklace will no longer clip into their neck when wearing a shirt that’s tucked in.
- The “CleanRoom” wall pattern, which was previously missing a name for its 5th color variant, has now had that specific color variant named “Like Sand”.
- As far as I’m aware, this is the only instance in the game where a color variant has been given a unique name. Huh… neat!
- A new content alert icon has been added to individual careers within the Select a Career panel, to help players find new careers that have been added to their game.
- “Shift clicking” with the controller (X and Circle (PlayStation 4) or A and B (Xbox One)) at the same time on the Age Up menu will no longer cause menus to overlap.
Get To Work
- Scientists will once again wear an appropriate outfit when going to work even if StrangerVille is not installed.
- The “Chemical Analyzer” object can now be purchased from Build Mode without having to use a cheat.
- Made updates to the list of valid objects that can be selected as the outcome of the SimRay’s “Transform Object” interaction.
- Fixed an issue where objects from multiple festivals were appearing on top of each other in the neighborhood simultaneously.
- Apartment landlords will now leave the apartment immediately after addressing a tenant’s complaint.
- Added the ability for Sims with the Vegetarian trait to hire a Vegetarian Caterer by clicking on Stoves or Refrigerators.
- Vegetarian Sims will no longer enjoy eating Mud Carp.
Cats & Dogs
- Fixed an issue where hungry pets would not eat from food bowls autonomously.
- The pet toy box will no longer have its position rotated in a random direction when a Sim returns home from an active career.
- Fixed an issue where the “Litter-Matic Scoop-Free” litterbox wasn’t looking clean after cat poop had been removed.
- Fixed an issue with the Pet Adoption Agency, where they would occasionally show up at a Sim’s home without any pets to adopt, and would simply stand at the home’s front door and not do anything.
- The Hide/Show filter now does as you’d expect while using the Simstagram pet interaction.
- Fishing in Brindleton Bay shouldn’t have your Sim facing the wrong direction. No more fishing the land and wondering why the fish aren’t biting.
- Updated the Gardening career so that Sims will earn more than 10 Simoleons per completed work shift.
- Fixed an issue where on days where no holiday was set to occur, a Sim’s work schedule would update to falsely indicate that the day was a Holiday just prior to going to work, causing the Sim to stay home for the day.
- Fixed an issue where NPC Sims were not autonomously using the skating rinks that appear in certain neighborhoods.
- Toddlers will no longer attempt to queue up behavior to “Run Inside” during bad weather conditions if they’re already inside.
- Fixed an issue where Sims voices could not be heard when Singing Together around a Holiday Tree if City Living was not installed.
- You’ll now be able to cancel the Compel to Drink interaction after choosing to feed on a Scarecrow.
- The Acting career task to “Get Into Hair and Makeup” can be successfully completed once again.
- Fixed an issue where celebrity Sims who had been set to use their normal walkstyle were switching back to using the celebrity walkstyle after traveling to certain types of venues.
- Three star celebrity Sims will no longer use the celebrity walk style.
- Your Sims can now pester… er… visit, any campers of their choosing in Granite Falls.
- Fixed an error where Sims would get stuck in the Forest Hideaway lot in Granite Falls.
- Simmers who have City Living installed can now put the Siopao and Ensaymada dishes on their restaurant’s menu.
- Grand Master Vampires know all, or so they thought. Now they can continue to earn points. Does that make them a Grand Grand Master?
- Vampire NPCs shouldn’t get appear at a venue and prevent you from saving.
- Vampire NPCs shouldn’t have their Vampire Energy drained after a load which allows them to continue with their expected autonomous behavior.
- Sim Form!
- The following environment objects, which were created f